MI Big Green Gym
Tuesday, June 4, 2013
This summer the Michigan Recreation and Park Association (MRPA), in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) present the MI Big Green Gym Program [formerly Park & Read].
The program is designed to promote overall well-being and a healthy lifestyle through use of parks and recreation facilities. Michigan has some of the country's premier parks, which, along with local recreation departments, provide unique and fun ways to stay active and spend time with family and community. MI Big Green Gym is comprised of participating state parks, local parks, and three challenge communities - Grand Traverse County, Kalamazoo, and Marquette. The Blues Community Challenge is a "healthy" competition to see which location can log the most activity and win big for their parks. Michigan really is a big green gym - with endless opportunities to get active.
Thanks to support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and the Library of Michigan, free passes into MI Big Green Gym are available through nearly 500 libraries around Michigan. More than 100 state parks are available for you to explore – many offering free Rec 101 programs. Choose your state park by visiting the Michigan DNR Parks and Trails Directory!
Passes are valid for seven days after check-out and are good for one free day into any state park or recreation area, or at the KLR Splashpad in Oxford Township, a universally accessible facility that is a hit with kids of all ages and abilities.
How the program works:
- Patrons must have an Ypsilanti District Library card to check-out a park pass.
- Park passes are good for seven days from check-out and can be used at any Michigan State Park in lieu of a daily motor vehicle permit.
- You must present the certificate to the park’s contact station. The pass is good for one day of the 7-day period and only covers the motor vehicle permit fee.
- The MI Big Green Gym Program will run until October 1, 2013.
- Passes are available at all Ypsilanti District Library locations now.